A quick survey.

So call me crazy, but I'm seriously thinking about opening up a yarn store combined with a cafe. Kinda like the one in Newtown, but I have more ideas.

I would appreciate it greatly if you could take a couple of minutes of your time to fill out an online survey, (kinda like marketing research for me), so I can see whether my ideas would float one's boat. :D

Here's the survey!

Looking forward to see what you think! :D And thanks in advance if you do this survey... It's only up for 10 days, so the sooner the better!

comments: 5

jp

Crazy - only a little.

Always fun to have another store

Kris

I admire the ambition! Just make sure you have a really thought-out business plan. There's a reason that most of them failed in the last 10 years. (I think the only reason TC lasted is that Albert works, like, 70 hours a week.) After working in one for 3 years... there's no way I'd be brave enough to start my own!

I'd shop at yours though. :)

knitness

Yah I agree, Kris. Hence the reason why I'm trying to do some "market research". I've been thinking about it since last year, and the only reason why I have hesitated was because it is a bit of a niche market, if you think about it. But I think for someone to be fairly successful with their business, you would have to have the same understanding and passion as your customer base, which I'm hoping I have. :D

This will not be a quick set up at all... I'm gonna start working hard saving my pennies and thinking of a thorough business plan for at least the next year or so. I've been doing a lot of readings on small business operations and I'm certain that I will be working like Albert's 70 hours a week. :D

messicat

I think it's a great idea! Bring it on! Every time there is a shop for lease around here, I hope it will be a yarn shop opening or I imagine that I will open one!

I love shops that you can just hang out in and chat to the staff/other customers and don't have to buy anything every time, but when you are ready to buy, you get the service you want.

Good luck with everything!!

knitknotnat

I do most of my shopping online as I have moved out of the city and have a toddler in tow these days. But there is definitely room for a great store that sells some of the yarns that are super popluar on Ravelry but hard to get here (like Malabrigo, Madelinetosh, Cascade, etc). I just visited Threads & More in Bridbane which is a great cafe/LYS combo and such a gorgeous space.